Monday, May 30, 2011

#20, & Project Complete

Last one.

Torso is a little squat. I have to say, I felt pressure for the last one to be the best. And I don't think it is. But I do think there is a clear improvement from where I started to where I finished.




I had direction and order towards the end of this, so I had better control over the painting. The question starts to become, if I can control the painting, then what do I really want the painting to say? If I like portraiture, why? I know I like the framed windows in the background, but what are those big color blocks saying? Or is it the clear pattern of squares I am responding to? The repetition as a metaphor for daily life?
So now, what should I do next to continue exploring?

2 comments:

  1. I think I like #19 the best. It's interesting how dark they were in the beginning and how much lighter they became. Is that the weather, or your feelings about painting (or both)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I changed my technique a bit, and began using less ink. I was initially doing the preliminary gesture with black ink and then changed to orange. But also, and probably more so, in the beginning I was painting over and over because I was dissatisfied, so there is muddiness from that behavior is in the beginning ones. Whereas towards the end of the series, I had a better idea of how I was going to paint, and so used less paint, and had fewer issues of painting over and over.

    ReplyDelete